Thursday, July 14, 2011

New arrival at HMNS

HMNS has a new Corpse Flower! Are you excited?! I sure am!

This joyous occasion brings back memories of Lois, a sassy Amorphophallus titanum (Heh heh, phallus...) who caused an uproar at the Houston Museum of Natural Science last summer.

Sadly, I didn't get to meet this awesome plant... It pains me to say it, but I have never seen Lois in person.

I suggested some names for the newest plant, one of them being "Anuja." I really love the sound of it, plus the meaning. Anuja is a Sanskrit word that can mean "little sister." I suggested a Sanskrit name because Corpse Flowers originally come from Sumatra/Indonesia. She's the little sibling of Lois, so the name seems fitting.

Plus, it's just so cute~! Just like the new corpse flower!

(Anuja can also mean little brother, but HMNS's new Corpse Flower has been referred to as a girl so far... Whatever gender this little leaf turns out to be, the name Anuja will still fit.)

It's so exciting! I just want to hug her!

Yes, I'm sure this is creeping you out... This unnatural love of corpse flowers that I have... But I can't help it! Eek! I'm shivering with anticipation!

And, Lordy! There are some names that people suggest that just irk my nerves. Like "Lane."

Lois Lane, really?! Lois wasn't named after Lois Lane from Superman. She was named after Eddie Holik's mum. (Eddie Holik used to be the director of the Butterfly Center at HMNS.)

That and "Lane" is just a lame name idea makes me disapprove.

It also seems popular to suggest random "L" names that just sound good next to Lois.

And someone even suggested Peter, as in Lois and Peter Griffin. Yeah, Family Guy. That just enraged me.

I think names with meaning and feeling are important... Not trying to sound selfish, but I hope Anuja at least makes the list of finalists...

Now, don't forget to check out the HMNS blog BEYONDbones to stay updated on the museum's antics!

Plus, here's a song for Lois that was written and performed by a volunteer at the museum. (This is from when Houston was waiting for Lois to bloom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment